So, the inevitable request for money came in from my scammer. It took me 3 requests to get details that they'd read my writing. After those 3 requests they finally came back with a summary of my characters that sounded suspiciously (who am I kidding, exactly) like it was from ChatGPT. This was followed by the following exchange:
me: Had you seen much Sense8 before?
scammer: No, but I’ve heard about it, and the concept seems really interesting. Where do you recommend I start? let me know are you able to afford just $100 now via PayPal, so I can book your slot and start the work. I hope it sound good to you!
So... now the scam was on. And I wasn't about to let this go. I decided the most fun would be to turn it around on them.
me: I'm surprised you're only asking $100. My general plan is to adjust the next chapter in the direction you suggested. Since I figure we need to go back and forth on this as a true collaboration... my offer is closer to $500 for you. But obviously I'll need $100 commission from you initially to make the appropriate changes to be in sync with your ideas. If you're intested in the $500 offer for the next stages. Let me know and I'll send you my PayPal info.
I really hoped this would throw them into a point of confusion... But they obviously has several pre-canned responses. This one also sounded very ChatGPT-
scammer: I appreciate your kind words and interest in my work. However, as a general rule, I don’t send upfront payments for commissions. Typically, clients pay for the work they want done, and I ensure that all details and revisions are handled professionally!
If you’re comfortable proceeding in that way, I’d be happy to discuss your project further and explore the direction you have in mind. Let me know how you’d like to proceed!
So, they took my knight... but I still have all the other pieces and now have to figure out what move to make next. There's got to be a path forward without losing them.
Honestly, this writing has been just as much fun as the Sense8 fic writing.
me: Had you seen much Sense8 before?
scammer: No, but I’ve heard about it, and the concept seems really interesting. Where do you recommend I start? let me know are you able to afford just $100 now via PayPal, so I can book your slot and start the work. I hope it sound good to you!
So... now the scam was on. And I wasn't about to let this go. I decided the most fun would be to turn it around on them.
me: I'm surprised you're only asking $100. My general plan is to adjust the next chapter in the direction you suggested. Since I figure we need to go back and forth on this as a true collaboration... my offer is closer to $500 for you. But obviously I'll need $100 commission from you initially to make the appropriate changes to be in sync with your ideas. If you're intested in the $500 offer for the next stages. Let me know and I'll send you my PayPal info.
I really hoped this would throw them into a point of confusion... But they obviously has several pre-canned responses. This one also sounded very ChatGPT-
scammer: I appreciate your kind words and interest in my work. However, as a general rule, I don’t send upfront payments for commissions. Typically, clients pay for the work they want done, and I ensure that all details and revisions are handled professionally!
If you’re comfortable proceeding in that way, I’d be happy to discuss your project further and explore the direction you have in mind. Let me know how you’d like to proceed!
So, they took my knight... but I still have all the other pieces and now have to figure out what move to make next. There's got to be a path forward without losing them.
Honestly, this writing has been just as much fun as the Sense8 fic writing.